Hong Kong’s largest annual LGBTQ+ carnival, Pink Dot HK, has been cancelled for the second consecutive year after organisers were unable to secure a venue and the necessary event approvals.
The 2026 event had been scheduled for 14 June at Stanley Plaza and Murray House, but organisers announced on Monday, 18 May, that the carnival would no longer go ahead.
Venue operator Link REIT reportedly advised that the space could not be rented to Pink Dot HK for public activities due to “licensing issues”.
In a statement, Pink Dot HK said it had spent months pursuing the relevant licences, but ongoing uncertainty and the limited time remaining before the planned event had made it impossible to proceed.
“Faced with this uncertainty, given the tight timeline and the involvement of numerous partner organisations, after thorough consideration, we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Pink Dot HK outdoor carnival scheduled for 14 June 2026,” organisers said.
The group apologised to sponsors, performers, community organisations and volunteers who had supported the event, and asked for “time and space” to regroup following the unexpected setback.
Another setback for LGBTQ+ visibility
The cancellation is another blow for Hong Kong’s LGBTQ+ communities, who have now seen one of the city’s most visible Pride-style events stall for two years in a row.
The 2025 Pink Dot HK carnival was also cancelled after organisers were unable to secure a venue, reportedly without explanation at the time.
Pink Dot HK has previously attracted thousands of people and became a rare large-scale public celebration of queer life in the city.
While Hong Kong has long had visible LGBTQ+ communities, including queer nightlife, advocacy groups and several important court victories, legal recognition remains limited and uneven.
Same-sex marriage is not performed in Hong Kong.
In 2023, the city’s Court of Final Appeal ruled that the government had a constitutional duty to create a legal framework recognising same-sex partnerships, while stopping short of granting full marriage equality.
In 2025, the government proposed a limited registration system for same-sex couples whose relationships were legally recognised overseas. However, the bill was voted down by lawmakers in September.
The rejection was criticised by LGBTQ+ advocates and human rights organisations, who argued the proposal had already fallen short of equality and that its defeat left same-sex couples without basic protections.
More than a symbolic loss
Against that backdrop, the loss of Pink Dot HK carries more than symbolic weight.
Public queer events are not only celebrations. They are acts of visibility, community-building and reassurance.
For younger LGBTQ+ people, migrants, families, allies, and those still finding language for who they are, events like Pink Dot can be among the few places where queer life is seen at scale, in daylight and in public.
The cancellation also raises fresh questions about the shrinking space for LGBTQ+ organising in Hong Kong.
Authorities have not formally framed the issue as opposition to LGBTQ+ rights. However, for the community, two consecutive cancellations caused by venue and licensing barriers will be difficult to separate from the wider political and social pressures facing civil society in the city.
For now, Pink Dot HK says it will take time to reassess.
But the message behind the event remains difficult to cancel: queer Hong Kong exists, it is organised, and it is still looking for space to gather.

























